Data Manager – Education Funding Equity Initiative
New America is seeking a Data Manager to join its new Education Funding Equity Initiative, a project that explores inequities in school funding, and especially examines the disparities created by rooting school funding systems in property tax revenues that are raised against the backdrop of place-based wealth inequality.
We believe that it is critical for advocates, policymakers, and thought leaders to understand the harms created by current school funding policies, and for them to be equipped with the data and policy knowledge necessary to push for improved systems that support the provision of equitable education in diverse schools. The Data Manager will take charge of the technical aspects of this effort: performing analyses and building products that quantify and communicate current problems, and creating analytical tools to support better advocacy and policymaking. This position will report to the Project Director of the Education Finance Equity Initiative.
A successful candidate will be collegial and collaborative. As the sole data-focused person on the initiative team, they must be able to work with non-technical colleagues to translate policy and research questions into data project plans. This person will understand how to use data to communicate about important social and policy problems. While technical skills are paramount, experience with education policy and education equity issues will be considered a significant plus.
New America is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. The Education Policy Program uses original research and policy analysis to solve the nation’s critical education problems, serving as a trusted source of objective analysis and innovative ideas for policymakers, educators, and the public at large.
- Collect, maintain, and analyze data and information related to issues of education funding equity, including public education data, housing data, census data, and other open source data
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data
- Create and execute plans for data-analytical projects focused on education funding equity
- Create compelling written and visual presentations of research findings, including maps, charts, and graphs that make data more accessible, understandable, and usable
- Work to develop a moderate level of subject-matter expertise in school finance
- Monitor current events and research developments in school finance to be conversant in the issues
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Comfort with the process of extracting, loading, cleaning, analyzing, and reporting data
- Familiarity with modern databases and SQL, including creating complex queries
- Experience managing and manipulating large data sets, with adherence to standard data management principles such as data quality and/or profiling and data governance
- Moderate experience with scripting languages (e.g. R, Python)Experience working with geospatial data
- Experience communicating findings through visualization, writing, and analysis
- Experience employing data and analysis to answer research questions and support public policy recommendations
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- An ability to work independently in a hybrid work setting
- An ability to effectively manage time and communicate activities to a team or supervisor
- Interest in policy issues related to education equity
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, geography, education, data science, or another related field
- Experience working with government data sources
- Professional experience with policy issues related to education equity
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools (e.g. Datawrapper, Tableau, Mapbox, Looker)
- Experience with or knowledge of housing policy
Location: It is preferred that this position be based in New America’s Washington, DC office on a hybrid basis, with expected office attendance at least two days per week. For especially well-qualified candidates, fully remote arrangements will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits: This position is a full-time role with benefits. The annual salary will be between $80,000.00 – $95,000.00, depending on experience. New America offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes health care, dental, and vision coverage; a generous retirement plan; paid time off; observes all federal holidays; and an office-wide closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Operating Status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions are recommended.
New America is an equal-opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.