Senior Human Resources Director
The Senior Human Resources Director is a critical member of New America’s operational leadership, with responsibility as a strategic advisor and driver of talent and culture initiatives to deliver measurable results. Functions will include industry compliance, performance management, org-wide recruiting, employee engagement, employee relations, career and capability development, workforce planning/analytics. The role reports to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
Location: Hybrid mode or in New America’s Washington D.C. offices
- Determine the human capital plans required to deliver the function’s strategic and operational goals, including recruiting, development, engagement and annual talent assessment processes.
- Lead key HR processes and initiatives, leveraging and partnering with the executive team.
- Provide organization development and effectiveness strategies and solutions which respond to a dynamic and evolving business organization.
- Provide guidance for matters as they relate to the employee union and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Oversee and lead executive recruiting efforts.
- Assist executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization's wage and salary program, compensation studies, annual COLA review process and bonuses.
- Manage employee relations, partnering with key stakeholders to develop strategies and mitigate risk.
- Define and achieve functional excellence in human resource programs and corporate-driven HR initiatives.
- Benchmark against HR best practices and implement innovation and continuous improvement in support of a dynamic, evolving business organization.
- Oversee the HR agenda and budget, ensuring that individuals, teams and the organization have the career and capability development required for current and future success.
- Represent the function in the development and implementation of enterprise policies and practices that improve the company’s ability to recruit, develop, and retain talent.
- Organize, staff, motivate and lead a highly effective HR team that delivers value to the organization with expert recruiting, training and development, succession planning and other human capital activities.
- Annually review and make recommendations to executive management for improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure organization's compliance.
- Maintain responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Communicate changes in the organization's personnel policies and procedures and ensure that proper compliance is followed.
- Work directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities regarding personnel matters.
- Manage the contract administrations function as it relates to maintenance/operations, client, project and consultant contracts.
- Oversee and coordinate development of Fellowship and Intern contracts.
- Coordinate or conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Recommend, evaluate and participate in staff development for the organization.
- Develop and maintain a human resource information system that meets the organization's personnel information needs.
- Participate on committees and special projects and seeks additional responsibilities.
- Develop and coordinate delivery of all general training for employees—personal, professional, team development.
- Represent organization at personnel related hearings and investigations.
- Manage all activities (either personally initiated or through subordinates) related to the maintenance of the facilities, office equipment and systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management or Human Resources discipline.
- 7+ years of experience at the director/executive level, with team leadership in a complex progressive environment along with a strong track record of personal achievement and advancement.
- Experience and proven competency as an influential member of a middle or senior level leadership team.
- Exceptional leader and coach.
- Broad understanding of management styles, HR polices, unions and Collective Bargaining Agreements, compensation, legal, and employment issues globally.
- Experience with employee relations for union employees.
- Strong strategic agility, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills with proven high learning agility.
- Decisive, yet highly collaborative and inclusive.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced setting; enthusiastic about the potential strategic options facing New America; well-grounded in pragmatic approaches to structuring options available.
- Experience working in the context of a large, complex, global organization where working across boundaries and leading through influence are keys to success.
- Experience in driving change to deliver business results – knows what it takes to transform an organization.
- Excellent presentation and communication/skills, and overall business acumen.
- Strong interpersonal skills along with exceptional influence skills – ability and credibility to establish a strong network and align with functional peers and business leaders across a globally matrixed organization.
- Ability to move seamlessly between execution and strategic thought, development and alignment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No phone calls and No emails, please
Our compensation packages include generous health and retirement benefits and paid time off, hybrid work arrangement, including 20 days in your first year of employment, and office-wide closure between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day.
New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office, and we will consider requests for medical or religious-based accommodations.
- This position is hybrid, working from home and in an office environment and sits at a desk for extended periods of time and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment;
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, management, company partners/vendors, and the general public, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information verbally and in writing; and
- This position may require frequent walking, bending, kneeling, and standing, and will require sitting for extended periods of time.
- The work environment is in an indoor office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.