2023 Summer Internship - Higher Education (Paid)
New America’s Education Policy Program seeks applicants who have a strong interest in higher education policy for a paid internship in the summer 2023. The intern will primarily assist the program’s higher education team with research, data, and policy analysis for various projects, in addition to writing blogs for the program’s website. Interns must be self-starters who are excited to work both independently and as part of a team on a variety of higher education research projects. The internship will be done in the hybrid model, with at least two days in-person in our Washington, DC office.
New America’s Education Policy Program is a think-tank leader in early education, K-12, higher education, and the workforce. In addition to conducting research and analysis related to federal higher education policy, interns will have the opportunity to publish their own blogs and other work, attend events on behalf of New America, and connect with some of the brightest and most ambitious thinkers in the field. They will also have the opportunity to attend New America virtual events, professional development, and off-the-record policy events with fellows and staff from other New America policy programs.
- Work approximately 30-40 hours per week for 8-10 weeks, from early June to mid or late August 2023
- Conduct research and analysis on higher education policy issues
- Write for the Education Policy Program’s blog, EdCentral
- Assist with planning and staffing for New America Education Policy Program events
- Attend events and Congressional hearings on behalf of the education program
- Perform some administrative work supporting New America projects
- Demonstrated interest in higher education policy. Because of the content knowledge in higher education policy needed for this position, an undergraduate or graduate student with knowledge of institutional, state, and/or federal higher education policy is preferred.
- Excellent writing and communications skills; previous blogging experience or writing for a public audience a plus
- Passion for education and equity
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on-the-job; must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and with a team
- Experience with either quantitative or qualitative research methods, and the ability to conduct background research on higher education topics with some guidance
- Ability to work and attend some scheduled meetings 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM eastern time
The pay rate is commensurate with experience, the range is $18-$20/hour for this position.
Please submit a cover letter depicting your experience, a current resume, and a response (no more than 300 words) to the following question: What do you believe is the most pressing issue in higher education policy currently, whether at the institutional, state, or federal level, and how can policymakers and/or colleges and universities address the issue?
Only candidates with all required materials are considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, but candidates who apply by 11:59 PM EST March 12 are given priority. Start and end dates are flexible but the ideal candidate would be available to start by early or mid-June 2023.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED.
Operating status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office. We consider requests for medical or religious accommodations.
- This position is hybrid model, with at least two days in-person in our Washington, DC office environment and sits at a desk for extended periods of time and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, management, company partners/vendors, and the general public, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information verbally and in writing; and
- This position may require frequent walking, bending, kneeling, and standing, and will require sitting for extended periods of time
- The work environment is an indoor office environment. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinet
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.