New America—an innovative nonprofit policy institute in the heart of Washington, D.C.—is looking for an experienced UI developer to help improve our current products, and web properties as well as develop new products and features for a UI Developer position. This position can be located remotely, or in Washington DC. (Our offices are temporarily closed due to the pandemic.)
Working with the New America Product team, successful UI Developer candidates will demonstrate their knowledge of React using Typescript and working with GraphQL to work to integrate client backend services with APIs. The UI Developer loves working with data-based products that rely heavily on data visualizations and visual storytelling. You love to find interesting solutions to problems and are passionate about user experience.
● Five to eight years of software development experience, with emphasis on Front End and UI/UX development.
● Advance Knowledge of React framework and Typescript.
● Should be a hands-on developer with ability to write well documented code.
● Experience building single page web applications that perform and scale well in modern, legacy and mobile browsers.
● Write reusable UI components based on design patterns and workflows.
● Good knowledge about REST APIs,
● Proficiency understanding cross-platform, cross-browser and cross device compatibility issues and workarounds.
● Knowledge of industry best practices for code quality, architecture, accessibility, and usability.
● Ability to compare different frameworks and tools and suggest the best option given the client requirements.
● A passion for user-centered design, web standards, usability, and clean code.
● Good collaboration skills and ability to work with other UI architects, designers, and product managers.
Experience and/or Certifications
● Experience developing UI components in React using Typescript
● Experience developing UI components based on design patterns
● Five to eight years of experience
● Bonus: experience developing unit tests, building React components in Storybook, and familiarity with Gatsby
The salary range for this position will be 90,000-95,000. New America also offers a generous benefits package, including 4 weeks of paid time off and retirement matching, among others.
Please submit a current resume and a cover letter that includes a link to your portfolio or Github repository.
No phone calls, emails or letters please.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.