Program Associate - Teaching, Learning, and Technology
New America is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. The Education Policy Program uses original research and policy analysis to solve the nation’s critical education problems, serving as a trusted source of objective analysis and innovative ideas for policymakers, educators, and the public at large.
New America’s Education Policy Program seeks a program associate who will support work for Teaching, Learning, and Tech, a subprogram of New America’s Education Policy program focused on how educators and other professionals can use digital media and technologies to promote more equitable systems of learning across formal and informal settings.
- Analyze and synthesize research, and conduct interviews and roundtable forums with educators, practitioners, policymakers, designers, developers, researchers to raise awareness of the challenges and opportunities.
- Develop policy recommendations for best practices and system change needed to better ensure all students have access to meaningful teaching and learning.
- Provide more tailored resources and support to educators and other professionals who work with students and families at the local and state levels to help overcome the digital divide.
- Convene networks of stakeholders with diverse roles and across local, state, and national entities to identify the challenges and develop strategies for ensuring access to high quality teaching and learning for all students.
- Identify and spotlight what works on the use of digital media and technologies for young people in formal and informal settings.
The program associate will assist senior staff with the development and execution of the above. They will be expected to play a strong role in organizing the scheduling and logistics of roundtables, interviews, convenings of stakeholders, events and various meetings; taking detailed notes as needed, conducting supporting research related to TLT, assisting with posting blogs and briefs, and other tasks as assigned.
- Assist with planning and coordinating roundtables, stakeholder convenings, interviews, and various meetings, and related activities
- Support production of external events as needed
- Conduct supporting research
- Post blogs and briefs for the team as needed
- Manage reimbursement process for stakeholder participants and senior staff when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree and three years of professional work experience required
- Some experience working in education is preferred
- Excellent organizational skills—candidates should have the ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple projects and tasks to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively—candidates should be self-motivated, but also enthusiastic team players open to feedback and collaboration
- Keen attention to detail
- Experience coordinating in-person, remote, and hybrid events
- Familiarity with tech platforms such as Zoom, Google docs and sheets
- Curiosity, eagerness, and ability to develop new knowledge and skills
- Strong writing and communication abilities
- Solid research skills
- Ability to proactively engage and support workplace dialogue around equity, diversity and inclusion subject matter
Location: Washington DC
Compensation & benefits:
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – 57,087, depending on your experience and demonstrated competencies. In addition, our compensation packages include generous health and retirement benefits and paid time off, including 20 days in your first year of employment.
How to Apply:
Please submit your current resume, cover letter discussing your experience pertinent to the position, and a relevant writing sample (no more than 2000 words). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
No phone calls or emails, please.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.